Birth Date: September 21, 1947
Birthplace: Portland, Maine, United States
Pen Names: Richard Bachman, John Swithen
Years Active: 1967 – Present
Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Supernatural Fiction, Dark Fantasy
No. of Books Written: 254
- Stephen plays rhythm guitar in a rock & roll band named “Rock Bottom Remainders”, The band’s members have included Dave Barry, Stephen King, Amy Tan, Cynthia Heimel, Sam Barry, Ridley Pearson, Scott Turow, Joel Selvin, James McBride, Mitch Albom, Roy Blount, Jr., Barbara Kingsolver and other famous authors.
- He once got hit by a van on one particular night on 1999. It caused him with a broken rib, collapsed lung, head injury and a broken leg in 9 separate places. After recovering, King bought the vehicle that hit him, releasing an uncontrollable bottled up wrath he quickly turned it into a scrap metal with a baseball bat.
- Believe it or not, the master of horror himself is mortified of something other than the works he published. He suffers from triskaidekaphobia which is the fear of the number 13. While writing he will never stop working if the page number is 13 or a multiple of it, any number other than these are what he called safe numbers.
- During much of his early career, King threw out the first draft manuscript of Carrie which he has intentions to make into a short story. Seeing it in the trash can, his wife Tabetha rescued it knowing there’s some potential into his work, adding a feminine touch to it together they finished the book. Stephen ended up dedicating the book to his wife and still firmly believed that if his wife has not salvaged it chances are he would never have reached the audience and fanbase he now has today.
- Stephen discussed his career during the 2016 National Book Festival. He shared his experience with the audience about the very first book signing he did way back his early years as an author. “When I published my first novel Carrie, a bookstore chain in Maine asked me if I would come sign books which I agreed. When the day of the book signing came, everything was in place, they set up a small table and a couple of book copies placed on top. There were only 5 people who showed up, 3 of them are college friends of mine.“
Notable Characters Created
Birth date: Existed before the Universe in an alternate dimension known as “Macroverse.”
Haunting Ground: Maine, terrorizing the children in the town of Derry.
Skills and Abilities: Shape shifting, invisibility
Shape: Appears in a shape that its victims fear most.
Weakness: Heart of courage
Status: In hibernation
Age: 4 years old (in dog years)
Breed: St. Bernard
Abilities: Super strength, enhanced dog senses due to Bat rabies
Weakness: Severe injuries can kill him
Birth date: September 21, 1963
Birth place: Chamberlain, Maine
Died: May 28, 1979
Also Known as: Carrietta N. White (Full name), High School Prom Queen
Occupation: Student of Ewen Consolidated High School
Abilities: Telekinesis, Telepathy