What about Instagram?
As writers, you know how important social media channel can be for exposure, or any platform that resonates with your target market. They help you build a diverse writing community where you can promote your work. For these reasons, it’s easy to consider Facebook for networking knowing that it has the largest audience of any social media site. Twitter and LinkedIn are also social media platforms where you can probably win.
The Medium Well
“Instagram’s growth has outpaced the other top four social media platforms in recent years: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Pinterest. Furthermore, Instagram has very dedicated users, who often use the platform daily.”
- Instagram currently has over 700 million monthly active users. To put this into perspective, that’s over double the monthly active users of Twitter and three times as much for monthly active users on WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
- There are 16,600,000 Google searches for “Instagram” per month.
- There are 15 million registered businesses using Instagram business profiles.
- 60% of the top brands on Instagram use the same filter for every post.
- 100 million users use the “stories” feature daily.
- Instagram posts with at least one hashtag average 12.6% more engagement than those without.
See? Instagram is indubitably one perfect tool to consider for a Paperclips Magazine writer these days. So, how do you make this awesome social platform start working for your benefit? Here’s how.
5 FUNDAMENTAL RULES FOR WRITERS ON INSTAGRAM
(Lesley Vos, ProWritingAid, Follow her on Twitter)
- Make your author bio resonate with target readers. Speak to your perfect reader, and don’t try to please everyone.
- Add a link to your author website or blog.
- Engage with others. Instagram is not just about broadcasting but interaction as well. Like other’s content, follow them, and comment on pictures they post.
- Post regularly for people to follow you. If you add content occasionally, you risk losing subscribers. Instagram users love with eyes. Don’t plagiarize or paraphrase others; make sure to create original content your followers will love.
- Use hashtags and descriptions to each image or video you post to Instagram. That helps with optimization and allows likeminded users to find your content. 3-5 relevant hashtags are enough to add. The most popular hashtags among writers are #Instabooks and #Bookstagram.