Shania Twain is a household name in the music industry and for someone who hasn’t been in the limelight for a while now, she still holds a place in people’s hearts. Her earlier career was one of the most celebrated – and for a good reason. In fact, she has sold over 75 million albums globally, with 48 million albums in America alone. She also got her first number 1 Billboard country singles chart with Any Man of Mine in 1995. Twain mostly sang pop and country music but was really good at both genres. Here are more Shania Twain facts about the gorgeous singer.
1. Her real name is Eilleen Regina Edwards and she got Twain from her stepfather’s surname. A lot of people say that ‘Shania’ is an Ojibwa word that means ‘I’m on my way’ but the singer denied this.
2. She started composing songs when she was just 10 years old.
3. The songstress shared that if she did not become a singer, she would have opted to become an architect or a veterinarian.
4. She was part of an Eastern spiritual philosophy that calls for daily meditation as well as abstinence from alcohol, drugs, and premarital sex. It specifically gained followers in the Indian Subcontinent in the 13th century.
5. In 2011, she published her memoir ‘From This Moment On’. She did not receive any help from any ghostwriters and penned it herself.
6. She started performing at an early age of 8 at local clubs. She was, of course, supervised by her parents who patiently waited until the bar would stop selling alcohol for the night before they brought her in.
7. Before becoming a full-fledged singer and earning her place in the music industry, Shania had to work a lot of jobs to sustain herself. This includes working at McDonalds during her high school years. Later on, she became a supervisor for her stepfather’s reforestation business.