Are you a fan of Disney? In case you did not know, a live-action adaptation of Disney’s Aladdin (1992) is on the works. It is an upcoming American film that revolves in the musical, romance, fantasy, and of the adventure genre. Last 2016, Disney announced that Guy Ritchie will be the director of the film, and it was written by Ritchie, John August, and Vanessa Taylor. It will be produced by Walt Disney Pictures. The awaited film will reimagine the love story of Aladdin and Princess Jasmine once again!
The film will be based on the story “Aladdin and the Magic Lamp” from The Book of One Thousand and One Nights.
With the minimal information provided from the aforementioned, what do we really know of Aladdin 2019?
– Casting was a huge struggle for Aladdin. Last July 11, 2017, it was revealed that the principal production was delayed and was pushed back by a month to August 2017. Finding for the right actor to portray the titular role was proven difficult.
For additional information, there was a worldwide casting and there were over 2,000 actors and actresses that had auditioned for the roles of Aladdin and Jasmine.
A. Mena Massoud
– Massoud portrays the titular protagonist in this film. He is the known scoundrel in the streets of Agrabah and later on disguised himself as a prince in order to get closer to Princess Jasmine.
Last November 2017, Massoud expressed his gratitude for having the privilege in portraying the titular role via Instagram.
B. Naomi Scott
– Scott portrays as Princess Jasmine, the only daughter of the Sultan.
C. Will Smith
– He plays as the comical Genie of this film. He has the omnipotent power to grant three wishes to whoever will possess his magic lamp. Smith was also the first member of the film to join the cast.
D. Marwan Kenzari
– Portrays Jafar in the film, the evil Grand vizier of Agrabah with plans to overthrow the Sultan.
E. Navid Negahban
– He is the Sultan in this film, he is the father of Princess Jasmine.
F. Nasim Pedrad
– She is Dalia in this film, the handmaiden to Princess Jasmine.
This character did not appear in the animated original film, but her role is to serve as Jasmine’s confidante.
G. Billy Magnussen
– He is Prince Anders in this film, a suitor for Jasmine.
H. Numan Acar
– He portrays Hakim in this film. He is head of the palace guards and one of Jafar’s henchmen.
With regards to the animal characters, Abu the monkey, Iago the parrot, and Rajah the tiger may appear in the film as well.
Here is an Instagram photo of Naomi Scott, showing that they are on set!
– Aladdin 2019 is set to be released on American theatres this coming May 24, 2019. It is scheduled to be released on 3D and IMAX by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.
3. Controversy http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42601893/aladdin-disney-defends-making-up-white-actors-to-blend-in-during-crowd-scenes
– The post-produced film received a backlash for adding white characters. Fans and the critics had the whitewashing accusations to the film. Saying that it was ironic due to the fact that there was a worldwide casting but only led to the point that some characters are not of the Arab or Middle East acts. Adding whites in the film had caused an outcry and branded it as an insult to the whole industry despite casting Iranian and Turkish actors. Even the portrayal of Princess Jasmine was criticized since Scott is not of the Arab descent.
Nevertheless, a Disney spokesman responded to the controversy; saying, “Great care was taken to put together one of the largest, most diverse casts ever seen on screen,”
“Diversity of our cast and background performers was a requirement and only in a handful of instances when it was a matter of specialty skills, safety and control (special effects rigs, stunt performers and handling of animals) were crew made up to blend in.”
4. Music https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/VIDEO-Pasek-Paul-to-Team-with-Menken-on-Live-Action-ALADDIN-Miranda-Confirmed-for-LITTLE-MERMAID-20170717
– At the 2017 D23 Expo held in Anaheim, CA, the famous composer Alan Menken announced that he will be co-writing new songs for the film with the Oscar-winning songwriters of La La Land and the Tony for Dear Evan Hansen.
– A part of the film has been shot in Wadi Rum Desert, Jordan. Here’s an Instagram photo of Massoud showing the setting of the film.
View this post on Instagram
That’s a wrap on #Aladdin ‘s Jordan location! Can’t begin to explain the vast beauty of this land & its people. The humility, generosity, & hospitality of the Royal Family, the Bedouins & everyone you meet is truly incredible. An experience for the ages! Jordan, you’ve reminded me of my roots – shokran! 🇯🇴
Production of the film http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/885263-aladdin-filming
is currently underway at Longcross Studios outside London. And Disney is yet to release an official trailer for the film.
Are you all excited? ‘Cause we do! We just cannot wait for the love story of Aladdin and Jasmine to be reimagined once again! Drop your thoughts in the comments section!